One in every five people is afraid of going to the dentist but it is inevitable as tooth decay is the number 1 chronic disease of children and adults in America. Your Bayonne dental team is here to help gently fill those tooth cavities and prevent further tooth decay.
Dental Filling Procedure:
Fillings seal up the tiny hole in your tooth caused by decaying bacteria. The first thing Dr. Doria does is check if you have a cavity that needs filling. If you have one, he will numb the area around the tooth.
Then, Dr. Doria will make sure to remove all the tooth decay so the pain does not return. Then he will prepare the space for the filling by cleaning the cavity of bacteria and debris. After the filling is in, we will finish and polish it so your smile looks great.
Types of filling materials:
- Tooth-colored composite fillings are versatile in its uses as it can repair broken, chipped and worn-out teeth. Appearance value lies in the color/shade of the composites that always matches the color of existing teeth and well- suited to use in the front and most visible parts. This is a great option to repair your tooth without anyone knowing you had a cavity.
- Silver-fillings or amalgams are durable fillings that were popular in the past. Strength wise, it withstands chewing forces. One disadvantage: it does not have the color of natural teeth and can be noticed by other people. If you like precious metal in your mouth you can go with gold fillings but they are extremely expensive so it is rarely used anymore.
- Ceramics are made of porcelain and are better in resisting stain than resin material. It also lasts for more than 15 years. On the downside, they are subject to corrosion and are expensive. For more information you should learn about our porcelain veneers.
Daily care for fillings:
After your dentist visit, you can eat as soon as the numbing wears off. To avoid future fillings here are some daily tips:
- Daily brushing and flossing every day after meals maintain the health of your teeth, fillings, and gums. If you have no toothbrush after a meal outside of home, you can chew a piece of sugar free gum.
- Remember that beverages, like coffee, tea, and wine can stain your dental filling and your teeth; always brush your teeth after to avoid staining. Tobacco and smoking stain your fillings and teeth.
- Regulate your intake of sugary and acidic foods and beverages since they can contribute to tooth decay and your need for more tooth fillings.
- Observe a well-balanced and healthy diet consisting of lean protein, fruits and veggies. You can continue eating some healthy but acidic food but limit your consumption and brush your teeth when you’re done.
- Fluoride gels or pastes help prevent development of new cavities, promote general oral health, strengthen your enamel and further the life of your fillings.
- Avoid grinding your teeth as it is damaging to your fillings and teeth. If you are a tooth-grinder, ask Dr. Doria about using a nightly mouth guard. Also refrain from biting your nails, using your teeth to open bottles and holding objects with your teeth for they are bad habits.
Schedule a visit to your Bayonne family dentist:
Regular checkups and cleanings are an integral part of maintaining oral health. Why not schedule a visit with Dr. Doria and his dental team for your check-up and filling needs? Have your teeth filled while you relax listening to music or watching your favorite TV shows. We offer a wide array of dental services and accept all major insurances. Dial Dr. Doria’s Bayonne, New Jersey office by calling 201-823-9100.